A guided tour of Everingham Hall and the adjoining Chapel of the Virgin and St Everilda opens this summer's programme of evening visits. Grade 1 listed, the handsome Georgian house (1757-64) was built to designs by John Carr for William Haggerston Constable, and restored (1962-3) by Francis Johnson. Next door is the monumental Italianate Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1836-9 following the Catholic Emancipation Act of 1829, whose plain exterior hides a spectacular gilded and painted stucco interior, with statues of Carrara marble. A buffet supper follows the tour. Parking is available in the grounds. Everingham lies just off the A1079. Follow signs into the village to reach the parish church of St Everilda. Take the next turning on the left for Everingham Hall and Chapel.
New members always welcome!
Join at any meeting - £15 a year.
Venue: Council Chamber, Hedon Town Hall, 36 St Augustine's Gate, Hedon HU12 8EX
Access: first floor, reached via two flights of shallow stairs with continuous handrail
Parking: free of charge in the Iveson Close car park. Map here.
12 June: Visit - Everingham Hall & Chapel of the Virgin and St Everilda
10 July: Visit - All Saints, Goodmanham & Hall Garth
14 Aug: Visit - tbc
11 Sept: tbc9 Oct: AGM / Members' Evening
13 Nov: tbc
11 Dec: Xmas Dinner